Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Sweet Side Table

I have always loved this style of side table that has a little book shelf underneath. I bought this one at a garage sale but it wasn't that sturdy or appealing.

I started off by stripping all the old thick paint off. since it wasn't that sturdy, I added some nails and screws to reinforce it. After patching some holes and dents I painted a base of dark brown. Next I added crackle medium and once it was dry I painted a grayish beige on top. This layer of paint is the one that will crackle and the size depends on how thick the paint is applied. Once this step was dry, I went to work antiquing the table by sanding some areas and finally by rubbing wood stain over the entire piece.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Magnificent Mirror

This mirror was in bad shape when I bought it at a garage sale.

Even though the frame was a bit damaged it was a good base to use for my collage. I first had to sand down and fill the raised lines with wood filler to have a smooth surface to work on. Next I glued on various papers I collect, added some paint here and there and then a coat of varnish to finish it off.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Sweet Succulents

I found this oval vase at a thrift store and I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it.

I bought a nice variety of succulents, pebbles and soil. I put enough pebbles in to cover the bottom for drainage and then filled the rest with soil. It took a lot of patience to plant these delicate creatures and space them out how I wanted but it was worth it.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Faux Finish Fish

I bought this shiny and not so new "copper" fish mold at a garage sale. I knew it wasn't real copper but I had a plan for it.

I started by painting a base of dark green. Next I sponged on a lighter grayish-green, then copper paint, then the light aqua color that is recognizable when copper oxidizes. Now it looks more rustic like I bought it at a country flea market.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Tray Transformation

This tray was at a garage sale I went to recently and no wonder it was still around at the end of the day.

The folk-style cat painting was only printed on a piece of paper that was easily removed. I gave the tray a good sanding and went to work with my collage of different papers etc. Next I painted the sides and once everything was dry I gave it few coats of satin varnish. Now it is certainly more stylish!