Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Trash to Treasure

The other week when I was painting the Ambaa storefront, these two bistro chairs were left out in the garbage for anyone to I did!

After cleaning and sanding the chairs, I used a glossy teal metal paint on the frame. When I removed the seat cushions, the foam was in great shape, it was just the vinyl that was damaged. I had found this beautiful wool blended fabric at a thrift store and had waited for the perfect project to use it. The fabric was a little plain so I decided to sew polka dots on it with brightly colored thread. (Second chair not pictured)

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Favorite Things: Terrific Textiles

This week I am taking a break from my Before & After projects and decided to do a new feature called Favorite Things.

These are a few of my favorite vintage fabrics around my home. Having been a textile designer for several years I can't get enough of beautiful designs and patterns, especially vintage ones!

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Amazing Ambaa

This week I decided to make my Before & After post about the yoga studio storefront I just finished re-designing and painting. It had been painted several years ago and was in need of some sprucing up.

Aside from needing a new paint job, it also needed a sign and something I thought would be appreciated by those inside the studio as well as passers by...some hanging flowers. I chose to keep the familiar turquoise associated with the studio but make it richer and more vibrant. The top portion of the siding had not been painted previously but I felt that painting it would make them stand out better from their neighbors. A lovely sign was painted by the studio director and I hung it in the entry way which looks great but also hides the a/c unit. Now this friendly neighborhood yoga studio has a fresh and updated look which reflects this up-and-coming part of town.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Handmade Headboard

This cottage bedroom was pretty bland. The bed had a metal frame so it didn't need a headboard for support but I wanted to add one for looks. I decided to create something unique that would make a statement in this room.

I bought some pieces of stainable quality pine, 2 wider pieces for the sides and narrower for the center. I cut the pieces and assembled the headboard using wood glue and dowels. I stained everything including several feet of wicker. I drilled holes the thickness of the wicker inside the wall of each section. I added the wicker in a random pattern and voila!

Stay tuned for the complete makeover of this cottage bedroom!