Friday, January 6, 2012

Handmade Headboard Part 2

This cottage bedroom makeover started with creating a new headboard, see handmade headboard. I liked the wall color, night tables and lamps but the rest didn't work.

Once I removed the old wallpaper border, it immediately made the walls look taller which is where I started. 

Now that I had more wall space, I hung some framed art above the bed all in different frames but the white mats tied them together.

The windows needed curtains and I chose simple khaki cotton panels so that they would not be too formal.

I decided to make a quilt for this room but I wanted it to be more a contemporary one. I found a unique piece of fabric at a thrift store which became the center of the design. I paired a soft pink cotton and a white speckled cotton with it that came from the same store.

On the corners of the quilt, I made gathered panels which is a technique that I fell in love with when I did the patchwork pillow.

The little frilly throw pillow was fun to make and it gives the bed a romantic touch.

The vintage glass lamps got a little facelift with some new updated shades and I sprayed the metal silver instead of a brassy gold.

The headboard has really given this bedroom a focal point and made it look more sophisticated.

In this photo, you can see the technique I used to sew the different fabrics together which was to leave the edges raw to fray over time.

I really enjoyed creating my updated version of romantic country.

No comments:

Post a Comment